Dichotomygirl

Sparks: The Epic, Completely True Blue, (Almost) Holy Quest of Debbie
S.J. Adams
Life After Life
Kate Atkinson
The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
Patrick Ness
A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness, Jim Kay I really wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I was familiar with the author, I read (and enjoyed) The Knife of Never Letting Go, but never had the desire to read any of the sequels. I confess, this book would have stayed mainly below my radar, if it weren't for the fact that every single Goodreads friend who has read this book has given it 5 stars , an occurrence so unbelievably rare that sheer curiosity compelled me to reserve this book from the library.I really didn't know what it was about beyond the cover blurb, so I was somewhat unprepared for the emotional toll that it would take on me. A year and a half ago my Mom was diagnosed with a rare cancer, Cancer of the Bile Duct. The 5 year survival rate for this cancer was 0%. However, they have an experimental treatment that she potentially qualified for, so there was a myriad of tests and Chemo and Radiation, as we hoped for the best, but feared the worst.She lived with me during that time. The rest of my family 900 miles away. I had also fallen in love and found myself in a surprise pregnancy with my boyfriend of only 5 months after 14+ years of believing that I was barren. It was such a difficult time for me, working full-time, while being pregnant (at the ripe old age of 36), and being the primary caregiver for my Mother. The Love I had for her, the fear that she would die, coupled with the resentment and frustration over wanting to enjoy my pregnancy, being in love, being a newlywed, but those things constantly being overshadowed by the demands of her illness.So I understood all too well the pain of Conor, and I thank God, that I was able to be honest with myself, and that I had good caring people that didn't judge me when I shared my feelings.Reading this book, brought that all back; fear, guilt, shame, resentment, love, sadness. But I am better for having read it, for that validation, that sense of kinship that it brought, to us who have faced such experiences.My story ended happier than Conors did, my Mom got her experiment treatments (a liver transplant and some internal modifications) and though she still has many healthy problems is now cancer free. I loved how thought provoking this story was, and recommend it to all who are reading this review.