Dichotomygirl

Sparks: The Epic, Completely True Blue, (Almost) Holy Quest of Debbie
S.J. Adams
Life After Life
Kate Atkinson
The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
Patrick Ness
On a Dollar a Day: One Couple's Unlikely Adventures in Eating in America - Christopher Greenslate;Kerri Leonard An interesting little book that tells the story of partners Christopher and Kerri and their journey of 3 challenges involving eating, finances and health.The first challenge is to eat on $1 a day, to get an idea what it is like for many in third world countries. The second challenge was to eat using the budget and meal plans of the USDA Thrifty Food Plan, which is what is recommend to those who receive Food Stamp Benefits. The Third challenge was simply trying to find a healthful, thrifty meal plan that fit with their lifestyle.I got this book from the library, mainly due to my own families desire to stick to a tight budget, which includes a food budget that leaves us approximately $1 per Person, per meal. For our family of three that means eating on $9 a day. Thanks to Aldi's, Publix's weekly BOGO deals, and a huge pantry and outside freezer. We get good deals, and can buy in bulk when the price is right. But often, I find what this couple found, it's one thing to try to stay in a certain $ range, but yet another to do it while eating a variety of healthy well-balanced meals.This book made me think a lot about Food Insecurity, and what it must be like for those who don't have enough to eat or the money to buy it, and how receiving Food stamps might keep you from going hungry, it's won't necessarily keep you from obesity, diabetes and heart disease.And to realize that even though it sometimes feels like we have it tough financially, that if we run out of grocery $ before the end of the month, it simply means that we maybe don't put any into savings or can't pay extra on our debt that month, or will have to wait even longer before we can afford to get a 2nd car.