Dichotomygirl

Sparks: The Epic, Completely True Blue, (Almost) Holy Quest of Debbie
S.J. Adams
Life After Life
Kate Atkinson
The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
Patrick Ness
Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout Wow, I really wasn't expecting to love this as much as I did. I think it becomes a lot harder to be impressed when you tend to keep reading the same kind of books. But there was something about this book that really stood out.I can see why people might compare this to Twilight, as there are some superficial similarities. New Girl, hot boy who's a jerk, with a friendly and kind of flighty sister, and there's something strange going on.But there is no question that Armentrout is a much better writing than Meyer, and that Katy has a distinct and strong personality. (Don't get me wrong, I'm only slightly ashamed to admit that I'm a fan of Twilight, and I believe that Bella's lack of personality is what makes it so easy for many to put themselves into the story.)I am also very happy to announce that if you are looking for Insta-love you won't find it here, and you will refreshingly find that Katy is quick to point out when Daemon is being a "dickhead" or a "douche". And amazingly she seems to understand that sexual chemistry is no foundation for a relationship with a jerk.My only criticism is that very little is mentioned about Katy's life before. (Why didn't she have any friends in Florida that seemed to miss her or care that she moved away?) Though I suppose one can give the author the benefit of the doubt, and say that Katy withdrew after her Father lost his battle with Cancer. (I am willing to do that sort of thing for books I like *grin*)So ultimately this book gets a 5-Star from me. I confess I am kind of fickle about my 5-Stars, so I'm not sure if it will stick. To truly be a 5-star I have to not only think it's amazing now, but to continue to occasionally think about it's awesomeness.Notes:(West Virginia for 50 States of YA Challenge)