Dichotomygirl

Sparks: The Epic, Completely True Blue, (Almost) Holy Quest of Debbie
S.J. Adams
Life After Life
Kate Atkinson
The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
Patrick Ness
Dead Ever After - Charlaine Harris So, I was determined to see this series through, and was prepared for the worst, especially considering the horrible reviews and the weakness of the past few books. But I actually ended up being a bit pleasantly surprised.Maybe I'm just pragmatic, but the ending wasn't disappointing, nor particularly surprising, I felt there were many hints during the series, of an eventual romance between Sookie and Sam. I think the weakness was in how it was portrayed. I wonder if Harris, not wanting Sookie to seem fickle (going quickly from Eric to Sam) made her instead seem a bit stilted and overly casual, leading to the sex scene of horrible horrible awkwardness.I think the author DID do a good job in portraying why Eric and Sookie were not a realistic long time couple, from both sides. Eric with his vampire politics, and Sookie with her acceptance of the weakness in Eric's Character, her lack of desire to become a vampire, and the resurfacing importance of her religious faith.So the series ended up being less about "Girl finds exciting, dangerous, bad boy soul mate" and more, "Girl tries on the dark side, before eventually realizing that perhaps other qualities, such as steadfast loyalty, kindness, and selflessness are ultimately more pleasing." (One can argue that Sam followed a similar path after Sookie found love elsewhere).Ultimately, I can sum up Sookie's quest for love and acceptance with the following lyrics: "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need"